Thursday, October 16, 2008

Open Head Wound 1, Mamma 0

I really need to purchase a first aid kit. And a book. And maybe take a medical class or two. I was a total freak this morning when Jake busted his head open!

He was playing in our bathroom while I got dressed, jumping around, being his normal silly self and he bent over and bam! slammed his head into the side of the counter. He has done this a million times ... I tell him not to stand so close, but ... he is 2, he has very little long term memory and also very little ability to control his actions ... so, of course, he doesn't listen. Anyway, he was crying pretty hard so I scooped him up and gave him my typical mommy hug and soothing words "Its ok, it was just a bonk on the head, you are going to be ok" ... and then, I looked at where he was holding his head. And there was blood. Not a little bit of blood .... but lots and lots of blood dripping in his hair and down onto his shirt!!!!!!!!!!!! He didn't know he was bleeding and I didn't want to freak him out so I just said ... Here, lets put this towel on your head and see if that helps. He sorta went along with it, and he thought it was a game and stopped crying. But, every time I took the towel off, he started bleeding again!

So, at this point I started to panic a little bit. There was so much blood that I couldn't tell how big the actual cut was so I was imagining a huge gaping wound on my little baby's head! I didn't know what to do, so, I called my mommy. Unfortunately she didn't answer, so I called the pedi. They had me bring him right in which scared me even more. So, I threw totally weather inappropriate clothes on each kid, shoved them in the car and drove them to the pedi office in the rain. Jake still thought this was all some kind of a game, so I just went along with it. He was a total trooper.

After two nurses and the doctor looked at it they decided he would be fine and did not need stitches or even the glue. (WHAT!? Did you know they GLUE your skin together now? That is bizarre. Although, the doctor did tell me that regular super glue does not work, it has to be special skin glue. Uh, thanks?) Jake did not cry a bit when all of these people were poking around on his head. He just thought it was cool and was pretty excited about his sucker and his vanilla milk. :)

All of this was before 9:00am. Boys.

Oh, I did take a picture of his head, but I haven't uploaded it yet. I will post is as soon as I do. I know you are all dying to see it.

ok ... here it is. Brace yourself.

2 comments:

Annemarie said...

Yikes!!! That is a pretty significant small gash!!! Glad he's OK and that he handled it so well. Good thing you have Jake around to keep you sane! :)

~Kara~ said...

I've just realized I am a bit queasy with blood. Only after viewing that picture while eating an Eggo. I am glad he is OK! I would have screamed when I saw blood and totally freaked Ava out!
Congrats on staying calm!