Monday, September 1, 2008

Sarah Palin

I really try not to talk politics because I get all worked up and emotional and I end up not making any sense. But., Sarah Palin has got me thinking.

I guess it doesn't matter since if you know me, you know that I will vote for Obama; but I just feel like I can't relate to Palin at all. As a mother, if I had a 4 month old with special needs (well, really just having a 4 month old is enough) and a 17 y/o daughter who is pregnant I would feel the need to be with them. I know that her husband stays home with the kids, but still. I stay home with my kids and if I were in that situation, I would want my family together as much as possible. I would want our children to see a united front during these difficult times and I wouldn't want my husband off traveling weeks out of every month. Even if her family travels with her ... what kind of stability is that for her kids?

I also feel like her running for VP is thrusting her daughter into the spotlight which I think is very unfair on a pregnant 17 y/o. We see how tough the media can be and I don't think a 17 year old should have to deal with that. I think what it boils down to, for me, is that she may be a very good VP candidate ... but in another 5 or 10 years ... when she doesn't have young children that need her. I see no problem with being a mother and having a career, but when you have a baby and a teenager that need you, I don't think that is the appropriate time to do something as time consuming as enter into a presidential campaign.

So, those are my thoughts. I would love to hear yours!

Oh, and sorry for all the run on sentences Annemarie!!

1 comment:

Annemarie said...

Crack up....if you've been reading anything I've written lately, I think I am queen of run on sentences....and the "....". I love those things! :)

But....wow, I am SOOOO out of the loop. My head has been up my own butt (read computer and blogging) over the last few days that I had no idea that Palin was a woman until I started to read your blog. How embarrassing!

Anyways, you make some really great points, and it is going to be tough on her, and her family. I don't know how she does all of it...hopefully she'll get the help that she needs to keep it all together, for her family's sake.....it's going to be a long road.