Monday, April 9, 2007

Sick Monkey.


We made it almost one whole year without the monkey getting truly sick. Yes, he has had a few sniffly noses, a low grade temp here and there, but no real true illness; until now. It started Thursday evening when he was just unusually clingy and cranky. I figured he was just tired and put him to bed early.

Friday it was more of the same except now he wouldn't eat or drink anything and was screaming all the time! JW and I figured we all needed a break and took him to Gymboree where the monkey had the meltdown of all meltdowns. It was so embarrassing. We had to leave early. I gave him some Tylenol when we left there thinking that his teeth must be bugging him. When we got home I realized that he felt warm ... really warm. I took his temp and it was almost 102! Poor baby was sick and I had no clue. His fever hovered around 102 all weekend.

Of course it was Easter weekend and the doctors office was closed. We saw the doc today and she confirmed that he is fighting off a massive viral infection. The doctor's office was quite an event. He did ok during the exam, but when we went to take his blood he lost his mind. They usually take blood from his big toe, which the monkey doesn't really seem to mind. He watches the nurse the whole time, but never really cries or gets upset. This time, because he is close to one, they took the blood from his thumb. Big mistake. He screamed when she poked him, screamed while she drew the blood and screamed even more when she applied the band aid. I finally got him calmed down and then he noticed that there was something stuck to his thumb (the band aid!!). That ticked him off and he screamed and cried while he tried to pull the band aid off. The screaming got so bad the the nurse came and closed our exam room door. After a good 10 minutes of all the crying and screaming I gave up, yelled at the nurse that we were going outside for a bit, and ran out. Being outside seemed to calm him down somewhat. As we walked back in the doctor saw us and said, "Well, he is certainly sick" ... I said "Umm, really? (and I wanted to add "dumb ass!" but refrained). Somehow the monkey managed to get blood all over me, so the doctor had to help me clean up before we could leave. Again .... so embarrassing.

He is doing a little better, thank goodness!

Still, this really wasn't as bad as it could have been. At least we haven't had to deal with the rotovirus or something similar yet.

No comments: