Tuesday, April 3, 2007

The Breath Holder

The monkey is a breath holder. It is the most horrifyingly scary thing he does. He gets mad, and starts to cry but instead of crying like a normal child he opens his mouth and no sound comes out! He starts to hold his breath and then it goes on a little longer than he intended and then it is like he forgets how to make himself breathe and he starts to panic and then I start to panic and all hell breaks loose.



Today, he was in his highchair when he had a breath holding fit. This was by far the worst one yet. He threw his head back, his legs were all straight, his whole little body was tense and I thought he was going to slide out of the chair. This one went on so long that his face started to turn red and then purple! My child's face turned PURPLE people!! Do you know how frightening that is?! I screamed at him "BREATHE!" and threw off the high chair tray, grabbed him out of the seat and started blowing in his face .... finally he took a huge breath and screamed his little head off right in my face.

What in heavens name caused this massive fit? I know you are all wondering ... so, let me tell you the horrible terrible thing that happened. The boy ate all of his yobaby yogurt and wanted more. I didn't have more. He lost his freaking mind.

I blame Operation: No Bottle for this behavior. He is doing better at going to sleep with out the bottle, but he isn't sleeping as long or as peacefully. I imagine that he is dreaming of this huge bottle that is just out of his reach and he is waking up very frustrated and angry. So, he is tired and cranky and over reacting just a little teeny tiny bit. It doesn't help that his top two teeth are trying to come in and I am probably not giving him enough food to make up for the missing bottles.

But, he gets to eat cake this weekend, so that should make up for all the the no-bottle torture I have put him through this week.

No comments: